HISTORY OF STANTON COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
M.B. Sharp 1867-1870
I.W. King 1870-1872
Andrew Bottorff 1872-1874
Frederick Mack 1874-1876
S.S. Canfield 1876-1886
Alex Peters 1886-1894
T.L. Ackerman 1894-1898
J.E. Kenney 1898-1900
F.O. Edwards 1900-1902
W.F. King 1902-1906
Omer Van Hensen 1906
J.R. Stucker 1906-1915
W.A. Brown 1915-1919
Eli Best 1919-1926
Roy Whalen 1926-1962
Emil Christensen 1962-1970
S. Lehman 1970-1974
Donald Schneider 1974-1982
Michael Janulewicz 1982-1986
William McNutt 1986
Norman S. Lehman 1986-1993
S. Unger 1993-Current
Longest term in office: Roy Whalen (1926-1962)
Elected to two separate terms: Norman S. Lehman 1970 and 1986
The First Sheriff
The appointment of M.B. Sharp as Stanton County Sheriff in
1867 began the current history of the 139-year old office.
The office has seen many changes over time, from the building
of the first courthouse in 1884 at a cost of $10,624 to the
current courthouse, completed and first used on July 19, 1976.
The first Sheriff to be issued a county-owned patrol car, was Norman S. Lehman
in 1970 and the first full-time deputy was not employed until 1977.
Today Sheriff Mike Unger has 6 full-time deputies and 4 reserve deputies. The
county does not have a jail and houses the prisoners at a variety of locations
in northeast Nebraska. The last county jail was occupied in the mid-1970’s
and was located in the Stanton City Hall.
It still stands today, but would not even meet the jail standards of most third
The first verified and recorded murder in
Stanton County, took place on February 20, 1891 in the
Ramshorn Township. At
that location some 16 miles straight south of Stanton on the
Stanton/Colfax County line, it is alleged Henry McCubbins killed
his beloved wife Nettie McCubbins with a pistol. McCubbins
is believed to have caused a pistol wound to one Frank
in conjunction with that wound, caused a gash to the throat
of Yob, by butcher knife resulting in his death.
came to his death by administering and taking poison,
to-wit: Aconite. It is alleged McCubbins came home to find
his wife and the recently
hired farm hand Yob in a romantic interlude and then immediately caused their
deaths. The deaths were ruled a double murder-suicide by the county coroner,
following an inquest at the scene of the incident.
Stanton County was named in honor of Edwin M. Stanton, secretary
of war from 1862-1867 under presidents Abraham Lincoln and
The county was organized by the Legislature on January 10, 1862. It had previously
been called Izard County after Territorial Governor Mark Izard.
Stanton County is bordered to the north by Wayne County; to the east by Cuming
County; to the south by Platte and Colfax Counties and to the west by Madison
The County seat is Stanton. It was previously known as Pleasant
Other previous and current towns and townsites in the county
are: Bega, Berry, Butterfly, Canton, Clinton, Craig City, Degen,
Devon, Dimick, Donupe, Farmington, Gassey Hollow, Haymow, Hoosier
Hollow, Horace, Hunton, Kingsberg, Orlon, Pilger and Scwedt.